Monday, May 4, 2009

Cancer Free

Just wanted to share something I just received. I am on the board for a Leukemia and Lymphoma Society event. Hope you enjoy as much as I did.

Jamarielle was diagnosed with ALL (acute lymphocytic leukemia) in April of 2007 and in May of 2008 she relapsed and had to undergo intense chemo and radiation in order to prepare her body for a bone marrow transplant - which she had in September, 2008. She is 'technically' in remission but won't be 'officially' cured for 2 years. She is 10 years old and SERIOUSLY AMAZING. Here is her poem:

Cancer:
Cancer was the worst of all
at least for me
it was


I used to crouch down
just like this
but now
I'm standing tall


Cancer isn't all just blues
sometimes you have some hilarious
moments too


once I was in remission
and this much is very true


I bought some bacon mints
and got the nurses back
with an 'eeewwww!'


sometimes I would be super sick though
and couldn't eat or drink for a month


I would just lie there
sleeping,
listless


with a tube
gone up my nose
and not even
a little grunt


now
when I'm home
I snore my way to sweet,
sweet
dreams


I dream of my cells living
in my body
as one
home
each little cell
has one of its own thrones


No cancer to fight
No cancer to bite


I am living the life
I always wanted
playing soccer
not worrying
about being haunted
by the cancer
that came


I am living the same
as before five
years ago
I'm out of harm's way
and from this day on
MY CANCER IS GONE!



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment