Tuesday, April 28, 2009

an interesting night

Wow, so tonight was actually an amazing night. You would think that with cancer stats the way they are today, that the cancer community would be pretty broad, right? Well, let me tell you about tonight. I was invited to a networking event tonight. Most of you know, I am an allstate agent by necessity and a cancer advocate by passion. So, I met a friend of a friend at Goose Island tonight, turns out, he is the head of cancer research at Northwestern. I know, crazy...so I am talking to him (Patrick) and my other buddy and I meet an imerman angel. Wow, Chicago can't be this small, right?

Actually, tonight solidified what I already knew. Sadly, the cancer community is a small world, but we are a tight knit community. Sad, not because we have all beat or are battling cancer, but sad because we have all had to deal with this horrendous disease. The numbers are astronomical. 1 in 2 men and 1 in 3 women will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime. Yes, read that again, 1 in 2 men and 1 in 3 women. WOW, think about that.

This year alone 12 million people globally will hear the words, you have cancer. Yes, 12 million! 8 million people worldwide will lose their battle with cancer,8 million, that is more deaths than AIDS, Malaria, and Tuberculosis COMBINED. Can you imagine? Cancer is the number 1 killer of Americans under the age of 85. This is real my friends. We need to do everything we can to find a cure for this deadly disease.

We have lots of work to do, but I am confident that with everyone's support, we will find a cure for this horrible disease!

LiveSTRONG, Be Well, and Keep Climbing,
Joe Schneider



Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment